A couple of days ago, I invited my sister in law Anna over to do some crafting. It has been a while since we have gotten together for a project, so it was about time! So, while the kids tore apart the house, we sanded, drilled, painted, crackled and dried these awesome blocks.
I have seen this idea floating around blog land to put tea light candles into decorative wood blocks. I needed something to go on my mantel and this seemed too perfect not to try.
All you need to do to complete this project is:
1. Go to home depot. Get a 4X4 post. Have the guy there cut it into 4 inch blocks (or whatever size you want)
2. Make sure that you have a way to drill a 1 1/2 inch hole in the top. After calling several people on my street and making several house visits, I ended up going to Lowe’s to buy one. Save yourself a trip people.
3. Drill holes on top of the blocks in the center.
4. Sand like crazy and wish that you had an electric sander. Unless you have one. In which case this probably won’t take you 4 hours to complete.
5. Paint the blocks brown.
6. Paint with a crackle paint. you can find this at any craft store next to the acrylic paint. Make sure to read the bottle before application. It helps. Also, I only put the crackle on the sides that were going to be visible.
7. Now paint them cream
8. Cut out your vinyl and apply.
9. Light the candles and enjoy.
I love the way it looks. Now, I just need something else on the right side of the mantel (don’t you think?)